The Castle of San Sebastián is located on a tiny islet at the end of La Caleta beach in Cádiz. It took its name from a chapel built in 1457 by the crew of a Venetian ship, which obtained permission to stop at this place, to cure the plague that had affected them. The Venetians used the remains of an old lighthouse, replaced in 1613 by a watchtower, which in addition to serving as a guide for the sailors had defensive functions. The lighthouse was rebuilt in the 18th century and in 1908 it was replaced by the current structure.
To reinforce the defense of this site, a castle was built in 1706, which could be accessed from the drawbridges that covered the perimeter ditch. A parapet surrounded the island, except for the southern area, where the cliff was considered sufficient. In 1860 this parapet was replaced by a more substantial fortification, equipped with casemates inside; It was in this period that the current pier that connects the island with the historic center was built.
Currently, the Castle of San Sebastián is used as a special event space for historical exhibits, concerts & other cultural events.